Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Thursday, October 9, 2008

    Woosh!

    Woosh! That's the sound of our investment portfolio going down the toilet. In case you didn't notice the Dow closed down 679 points today for the 6th consecutive triple digit loss. Oh well! It's not money we depend on at this point in our lives, and the market will rebound eventually once people stop going insane and divesting their funds. Granted stock in banks or credit companies may not recover, but there is no good reason for tech stocks or energy or consumer merchandise, etc to be tanking other than people are panicked and want to put their money under a mattress. I feel like the NYSE should hang a big "Don't Panic!" sign outside their doors. Brian and I actually thought it might be a good time to pick up some more shares in companies we are already invested with. It's a sale on Wall Street. Granted if I were retiring soon or had a kid in college, I might feel differently about all the hits our accounts have been taking this year, but in general I'm not overly concerned about our losses.

    That's not to say that I'm not concerned about our economy, but I've been concerned about that since Bush was first elected, and just about everyone I know has been expressing concern about the housing market since the crazy boom started. There was no way it was sustainable. I didn't expect the crash to be quite so brutal, but looking on the bright side, as I try to do, it'll be a long time before we hear the word "deregulation" coming out of any politician's mouth.

    Anyway, the brutal plunge reminded me of a Stephen Colbert segment that aired on Sept 23 after Bank of America bought Merril Lynch, Lehman Bros went bankrupt, and AIG collapsed. Sometimes you just have to laugh - either that or go nutso.

    No comments: