Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Thursday, May 8, 2008

    Panama City Beach

    In case you haven't been paying attention to the Countdown Clock on your right, the Gulf Coast Triathlon is on Saturday, which means I am in Panama City Beach. I drove in late last night. I'm staying in a nice condo right on the beach about a half-mile or so from the race site. It's a great location and I have an awesome view.

    Today was very low key. I slept in, although not as late as I would have liked. I spent the morning relaxing, had a nice conversation with my coach, and took a nap. This afternoon I was planning on going down to the beach to go for a short swim in my wetsuit. I have a rashguard to wear under my suit that hopefully will keep me from chafing and I want to see how everything feels. When I got down to the beach, the water was wavy and it was much windier than usual. It also wasn't that hot - not that that's a bad thing. I turned and looked behind the condo and noticed that the sky was quite cloudy and dark. Ooops - guess I should have checked the weather. It never rained, though. I decided to scrap the swim - the water was swimmable, but would have required effort, and today is a rest day. So instead I headed for the hot tub. After a nice soak, I got cleaned up and went to packet pick-up. I did some shopping at the expo and headed back to the condo to cook dinner.

    Overall, I'm feeling pretty good - I've been really tired the past two weeks and haven't been sleeping that great, but my training has been good. I'm really nervous about racing on my tribike - I'm over the wobbliness and I feel really comfortable in aero, even in the wind, but going fast on the tribike weirds me out for some reason. I don't know if it's a visual thing or the aero position or the smoothness of the bike, but I feel like I'm going so much faster than I actually am. When I try to go the speed I should be going, I get a little freaked out. I'm hoping that being focused on racing will take care of that. I just keep telling myself that the faster I go, the sooner I get to finish.

    Tomorrow is race prep - I have an easy hour of workouts in the morning and then rest, rest, rest. Bike check-in is in the afternoon. I'm cooking and eating in. I did that for the Orlando 70.3 last year and it was really nice. Plus I'll have leftovers for after the race.

    FYI - if anyone tries to reach me by phone and I don't answer - the condo is a cellphone void. I have wireless internet, but the phone is hit or miss.

    It's about time for bed. Here are a few pics.


    2 comments:

    md said...

    you're gonna have so much fun!!! and you are gonna RAWK DA HOUSE!!!
    you're gonna look HAWT on your new tri bike!! I'm so excited for you.

    crap! no cell phone?? I sent you a text about the swim clinic. hope you got it.

    hope the weather is nice for tomorrow. keep the updates coming!!

    Anonymous said...

    Good luck. I know you will do fantastic.
    Rachel