Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Saturday, September 29, 2007

    The Mojito

    Mojito - a refreshing cocktail consisting of mint leaves crushed with sugar and lime; mixed with ice, rum, and club soda. Like all cocktails there are variations, but what exactly does the word mojito mean? This is what I found myself wondering aloud as Brian and I were drinking Mojitos at one of our favorite local restaurants this evening. Yes, I know, my thoughts are so deep it's scary - or something like that. I speculated that mojito must mean "little" something because "-ito" is the Spanish ending for little. I wondered "Little mojo?" but Brian had piped in that it must mean "Little Mo". I will spare y'all the rest of the conversation. Suffice it to say it was very silly and that for me and Brian the Mojito is forever known as "Little Mo".

    So what does mojito really mean? According to the Bacardi website, it does indeed mean "little mojo". Mojo being the African word for spell or charm so mojito means little spell. Brian thinks it's mildly amusing that I was right, but still says "Little Mo" is better. It certainly is funnier.

    The origins of the drink date back to English pirates in the Carribean during the reign of Elizabeth I. Cool! I hope this information helps someone win at Trivial Pursuit.

    3 comments:

    Joey said...

    I had no idea! Thank you for adding to the vastness of my useless trivia pool. But now I want a mojito. Waaaaa!

    Teresa said...

    J-
    I promise to take you out for Mojitos the next chance I get:-)

    Teresa said...

    For those of you that come in search of where to get a good mojito in Gainesville - there are a few places, but Cabana Cove on 43rd St is our favorite. I highly recommend the Mexican Mojito - made with tequila.