Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Thursday, September 13, 2007

    Food for thought

    In case no one noticed, I have been really lax in posting. It's not that I don't have anything to write about, it's just that I've been really uninspired to write. So in lieu of my stimulating writing that I know y'all can't live without, here are some quotes from the Dalai Lama and Buddha that I found in the course of a Google search. How I ended up on these pages is not in the least bit interesting, but the quotes are thought-provoking . No, I'm not a Buddhist but Buddhism is influenced by both Taoism and yoga, and so interests me. I threw in a couple of my favorite quotes from Lao-Tzu, author of the Tao Te Ching, just for fun.

    Lao-Tzu:
    • Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage.
    • Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
    • If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.
    Philosophies of the Dalai Lama:
    • If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry.
    • If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion
    • Don´t try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are.
    Buddha:
    • Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
    • You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person will not be found: You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.
    • Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.
    • As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.

    No comments: