Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Monday, April 14, 2008

    Escape from Ft. DeSoto

    Saturday was my first triathlon of the season at Ft. Desoto State Park in St. Pete Beach - 800 meter swim, 10 mile bike, 4 mile run, supposedly. I was looking forward to this race. Joey and I had done a race last August at the same park and had really enjoyed ourselves. The course was a little different for this race, but not by much from what I could tell from the course map. I was especially looking forward to pushing on the bike, but mostly I just wanted to see what I could do. Well, it turned out to be a disappointing race both from my performance and from the race itself. The race report includes some ranting about the race so be forewarned. Let me say that I fully acknowledge that none of these things were a big deal, but all of them together just bugged me, and I also acknowledge that racing in Texas has completely spoiled me, and things like not being helpful when someone has their own chip or having to look at race results in a crappy text file or not have results posted on raceday shouldn't bother me as much as it does. Anyway, here goes.

    Race morning started out just fine. I got up, ate, loaded the bike and left. No problems getting to the race site, no problems parking. I even ended up parking next to a bathroom so I went before heading to transition - no port-a-potty for me! 30 minutes before transition closes, doing just fine. Got to body marking - fine, didn't need to get a chip since I have my own AND I had checked to make sure it was in the computer at packet pick-up. It wasn't, but they fixed it. Heading into transition - "Where's your green wristband?" "What green wristband?" "It was in your race packet. You can't get into transition without it." WTF? I do remember seeing a green plastic strip in the packet but there was no instructions about it so I didn't think about it, and I didn't bring my race packet with me because I had put my numbers on everything the night before and packed everything in my tri backpack. I had the race instruction sheet in the car but nothing else. Normally, I bring everything - it figures the one day that I don't, I actually need something. So I explain to the volunteer that I don't have it, where can I get one. He doesn't know, maybe ask the chip people. I'm sure you can see where this is going - after getting pointed to several different places and told that it was explicitly stated in the race packet that I needed the green band, I finally get directed to pre-race packet pick up. Now let me first say that everyone was lovely and polite - they were all volunteers - even if they didn't know anything, which isn't their fault. I kept my cool even though I was getting irritated. I get to packet pick-up and a lovely lady helps me. I ask if she works for the race director. No, she's a volunteer. So I thank her and get ready to head to transition. There's no point in unloading to a volunteer - it certainly isn't what they signed up for. She says she can pass on the complaint so I very calmly explain to her that there was no information in the race packet about the wristband. She said there was supposed to be, but she would pass it on. I thanked her and headed to transition. 20 minutes to go - still plenty of time, and I've moved past the whole wristband thing. I find my rack, set up, sunscreen, and am chilling and drinking water. 10 minutes before transition closes - the announcer guy has been going on and on about how if you are just getting into transition YOU ARE LATE! Like those people don't know that. He also kept going on about how you should always arrive at least 1 hour before a triathlon and that EVERYONE knows that - whatever. This guy had a serious case of passive aggressive - Dude, you are not helping anyone at this point.

    I decide that I'm ready to head to the swim start so I start walking, and walking, and walking. Really what Announcer Guy should have been saying is that it is a freakin' mile to the swim start so get going - that would have been helpful info. The swim is a point-to-point so as I'm walking along the beach, I'm walking parallel to the course. First I note that it is a good distance from the swim exit back to transition - about a half mile. Then I'm looking at the buoys and as I get to the start, I'm thinking "That course seems long". I guess other people noticed that because I hear the announcer explaining that the course is 800 meters from orange buoy to orange buoy - that the out and back aren't part of that measurement because the water is shallow for most of the way out. Seriously? Who taught these guys how to set up a swim course? Now I know several of you are thinking "So what? Everyone still has to do the same distance so it's all relative." which is true, except that I have been working on my swim and I wanted a good measurement of how I'm doing and now I don't know the actual distance. The other problem is that the announcer kept telling everyone that they could run out almost to the buoy, so what do you think everyone does - they run. Again, so what you say? Well, once you are past the breakers and the water is over your knees, it's actually easier to swim, but if everyone around you is running it makes it harder to start swimming. I was almost waist deep before I could start swimming - talk about a waste of energy. The swim itself was uneventful - not too choppy or wavy, the water was warm, it was easy to swim straight and sight the buoys. I felt okay, but not great. I must have passed at least 10 people on the way in to the beach because they stood up and started wading at waist deep and I swam and rode the waves further in. I stood up at just the point where the water is still deep enough that it can give you enough support to get your feet under you, and came running out of the water and up the beach. Let's hear it for being able to run barefoot!

    I headed into transition and realized something I hadn't processed before - the transition area was long and narrow, just two racks on each side. I was right about in the middle. I guess it's relative - a long stretch to get to your rack or a long stretch down the racks but it seemed like it took me forever to get to my stuff. Helmet, glasses, bike shoes and go! I get out on the road and am starting to get up to speed when I feel the wind - damn it! Okay, it's not a brutal wind - maybe 15 mph tops, but it was steady. I don't remember it being windy last August, but it is the beach. The bike course goes South, East, West, North so I figured there's bound to be a break in the wind and maybe even a tailwind, but not so much. It was a lot of crosswind. There were a few places where the live oaks were close to the road and provided a nice break. I was doing about 16-18 mph in the wind and 22 mph easy out of the wind. Unfortunately most of the course was in the wind. I was feeling frustrated that the wind was bugging me because it's windy in Gainesville in the winter and spring so it shouldn't be a problem. Then I realized that it hasn't been that windy in Gainesville - I've been complaining about how erratic our weather has been this winter and I never noticed the lack of wind. Then I got bummed because I've been biking so much faster this year compared to last year, and I was really proud of how hard I've been working, but how much of that was the lack of wind? It's a good thing it was only a 10 mile bike - who knows what other depressing thoughts I might have had? I will say that I'm glad I didn't ride my tribike. I passed quite a few people in aero that were clearly not used to being there, and were wobbling all over in the wind making it hazardous to pass. No one wants to be one of those people.

    I dismounted the bike barefoot - again, so nice to be able to run barefoot. Of course, the transition area pavement was that gravelly type, which is really hard on the feet, so I don't think it saved me any time. I can jog pretty fast in my bike shoes. Off with the bike glasses and helmet, put on running shoes, grab my bottle and hat (with all my other things stuffed inside) and off on the run. I get my sunglasses, hat, and race belt on, eat a Clif Shot and try to settle into a pace. At this point I realize that this is not going to be a good run. Nothing felt bad, but I just didn't feel like I had a whole lot in me, and I had some sore spots in my muscles. I was also having some breathing issues. I was only going about 11 minute mile pace, and I was breathing harder than I should have. I think it's because I had to double up on the sports bras. The bra I wore for tris last year bit the dust, and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. Of course that style isn't being made any more. I will spare y'all my rant on larger-breasted women and tri bras - suffice it to say that it takes a bit of time to find a bra with enough support to run in without smashing your chest or giving you the dreaded uniboob, but that is still swimable and doesn't chafe when wet. After the run turn around, which seemed short to me for a 4 mile run, we headed out on the beach. This was an unpleasant surprise for me - nowhere in the race info did I read anything about running on the beach. If I had known that, I might have pushed harder the first half of the run, knowing I wasn't going to do much on the beach. Right at the mile 2 mark, my left foot comes down on a stick in the sand, which pops up and jabs me in my right leg and then scrapes it. I started cursing like a drunken sailor but kept running. I was pretty frustrated at this point, and just wanted to get done. I hit the mile 3 marker and I realize that we are pretty close to the finish - I guess they shorted the run course. I had opted to not wear my Garmin so I have no idea what the actual run distance was, but it felt like about 3.5 miles. I had no kick in me for the finish and just ran in at the same pace I'd been running. I grabbed some water and went looking for the first-aid tent to get my leg cleaned up. I couldn't find the tent. Shouldn't it be right by the finish chute? I spot an ambulance and go ask them. The paramedics pointed me to the first-aid tent, but also offered to clean me up. I thanked them, but said that was okay. I wasn't about to monopolize a paramedic for a superficial wound. The sign for the tent was on the ground facing away from the finish chute so it was easy to see how I missed it. I got cleaned up and decided to head over and get some post-race food. My coach had put an optional 45 minute cooldown run in my schedule, but I decided against it. I didn't think it would do me any good and I was feeling really frustrated to boot.

    Now I have to say that the race redeemed itself a bit with the post-race food catered by Macaroni Grill. I ate some and drank and chatted with the other athletes, and started feeling a little better if still bummed about my performance. I found out via word-of-mouth that the deal with the 4 mile run distance is that the distance from the swim exit to the transition area was included in that 4 mile total. Are you kidding? What is up with this race? It's been going on for 22 years AND it's USAT certified so what's up, and why wasn't that bit of info included with the race info. Whatever.

    I decided to check my time then go get my stuff out of transition. There was lots of food and beer, but Brian was waiting for me. We were going to get lunch and then go to the beach. Yay beach! I'm looking at the times in my age group and I don't see my name. Okay, well I know my chip was working since I heard the beeping as I crossed the mats so I wasn't worried. I know enough about chiptiming - thanks, Joey! - to know that my time was in the database so I go searching for the timing company. If it had been Run-far 1) they would have been easy to find, 2)this wouldn't have happened in the first place because they would have taken my chip code off of my race registration, and 3)I would have just gone home and sent Raul an email. I start asking around and finally find the timing people in a trailer. It was the same woman who had put my chip in the system at Packet pick-up. She had missed a number - no problem, she apologized, fixed it, and pulled up my time. I thanked her and headed out.

    I go into transition, which is getting fairly empty at this point, but there are still a few full racks and some random bikes, and start cleaning up my stuff. This is the part of the race where it's really nice to have a sherpa. At any rate, guys are in there starting to break down the racks, and they are just bitchin' and moanin' at the top of their lungs about people not getting their stuff out of transition. It was after 10am but there was still someone out on the course - an elderly woman cancer survivor who finished in just under 3 hours. I was fortunate enough to get to see her finish. Besides someone still racing, there's a big post-race party going on with good food and beer, and the awards ceremony just getting underway. If you want transition cleared quickly, then you should make announcements saying so. At that point, I had had enough and decided to throw a little passive aggressive fit of my own, so I sat down in front of my racked bike and sent a few text messages. Yes, it was juvenile, but it made me feel better. At least I didn't stick my tongue out at them - although I considered it. I packed up and headed back to the condo, where I had Brian take this lovely post-race picture of me. After all, it was my first tri of the season - even if it sucked. If you look closely, you can almost see a bicep muscle.


    Here are my results and post race analysis: Swim 20:52, T1 5:47, Bike 32:27, T2 2:47, Run 39:16, Total 1:41:06 I really can't say much about these results since the distances are wonky. All I can say is that going in to the race I thought 1:25 was a reasonable time and after seeing the distance from the swim to transition, I figured 1:30 was probably more realistic. It is important to note that there was no taper for this race, it wasn't an A race, just a training effort, and my coach had said I would be tired, but I still feel like I should have been able to run 10 minute miles. The bike ended up being about 18.5 mph average, which I'm also not pleased with. I can't even really comment on the transition times since the gravelly pavement definitely slowed me down. I don't know how people run full speed on that stuff. As for the race itself, it's unlikely that I'd do it again. There were just too many little things that added up to make it a mildly annoying experience, and the shwag consisted of a technical shirt, and a Gatorade bike bottle - lame.

    Post-race authentic Maryland style crabby patty - mmmmmm!!!!

    Afternoon on the beach - it was beautiful!!!!

    2 comments:

    Joey said...

    Waaaaaaa!

    Seriously, with all of the things the RD did wrong I'm surprised they didn't get a boot to the head.

    We are spoiled in Texas.

    Faster transitions? 3 words: Fred Flintstone Feet.

    Maggie said...

    I wanna bike like you!!

    that's crazy to put some of the run in T1!!

    way to finish strong with your leg oozing blood. the post race festivities sound wonderful! and yay for beach time!

    I always say you can't have two bad races in a row, so your next race will be awesome!