Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Saturday, February 2, 2008

    Seriously?

    Two Saturdays ago - that was January 19 - I ran the Newnan's Lake 15K. This is a local Gainesville race put on by the Florida Track Club. As a member of the club, I try to be involved in the events if I can - either by racing or volunteering. Since I was in training for the 3M half-marathon in Austin the following weekend, I decided to run. I wasn't planning on racing it, but using it more as a supported long run. I've missed this race the past two years because I have been in Austin so I was also looking forward to running a new race.

    The weather forecast for the race was not good and, sure enough, it was raining when I woke up. Raining, 51 degrees, and 96% humidity - not the greatest conditions for a race. I needed to do a long run that day anyway or I might have gone back to bed. I ate my usual morning breakfast, packed a change of clothes, put on some layers including my fleece hat with "Suck it up!" embroidered on it - a gift from Joey a few years back - and headed out.

    The rain was slacking off and the wind was picking up by the time the race started. It really didn't matter, it was so humid everything was wet. There was a surprisingly good turn out, and everyone was in good spirits despite the weather. I opted to go without the ipod - it's only 9.3 miles, it's rainy, there's people to run with, and it's an open course so I didn't see the need for music. I ended up running with Susan, who is what I refer to as a race friend - one of those people you see at races, and who runs about the same pace as you. We first met back in August. We have a lot in common so we chatted most of the race. I wasn't pushing my pace and she was recovering from running the Disney marathon the week before so we were happy going along at a comfortable steady pace. I ended up finishing in 1:30.18 which was right on target with what I had discussed with my coach. All things considered, I was pleased and felt ready for the half-marathon.

    Since it's a Track Club event, I planned on staying for the awards. Several people I know are usually in the top 3 of their age group, and I like to be supportive. I hung out at the finisher's chute for a bit, cheering people on, and chatting with some friends, but as I cooled down and the wind continued to pick up, I headed to the car to change into dry clothes, and deal with yet another case of bleeding jogbra chafe - ooowwww!!! Turns out it was good thing I hung around for the awards, since I ended up winning my age group. Too funny!! I was truly surprised and I felt kind of bad, since I hadn't actually pushed myself or tried to win. Oh well! I'm not going to complain - I got a cute bag, and a bit of an ego boost. Overall, it was a good race.

    1 comment:

    Joey said...

    Go T! Kick that age group azz!!!