Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Wednesday, June 6, 2007

    The New Tuesday Workout

    Tuesday at 5 pm found me meeting a group of people from the Florida Track Club that are trying to get a new training group started. They want to run the stairs at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at UF aka “The Swamp” every Tuesday at 5pm. A couple of guys invited/coerced me into meeting them during the FTC monthly meeting Monday night. I figured what the heck – I’m not officially training for anything just yet, I’ve enjoyed doing stadium stairs in the past, and I figure it will help with the lack of hills in the area. Besides I joined the FTC to meet people. The workout was a blast! Of course it was hard and I walked as much as I ran, but considering I did a half iron 2 weeks ago and haven’t run since last Tuesday, I’m okay with that. We warmed up by running up and down the spiral ramps to the stadium upper levels. We did 4 sets. I was concerned about running on concrete with my feet but it was fine. Then we went down the stairs across the section and up the next set. I do the bleachers instead of the stairs – it’s a more comfortable stride for me. We went around most of the stadium but I had to take some breaks and just jog around. My quads are still pretty goopy from Orlando and I felt every hill that I went up on the bike course as I was doing the stairs. I will definitely make this a regular workout. I want to be able to run the whole stadium including the side that goes way up. I’ll let you know how it goes. Here’s a photo of the “short” side of the stadium.

    3 comments:

    md said...

    Wow! that sounds like too much work for my lazy self. but good for you! you're a rock star in my book.
    so what's your next event? I'm doing the Metroplex sprint tri in Dallas this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

    Joey said...

    I am very glad you are doing tough workouts like stairs, but even more happy you finally have some running partners. Nothing keeps you honest like having someone you are meeting at the track.

    Missychel said...

    wow.....my legs are burning just thinking of those stairs. I use to run the stairs at Rice Stadium way back in the day. They would make us leave during practice as to make sure we were not stealing plays. Seriously.....it was RICE, what plays?!:)

    have fun with your new group.