Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Thursday, January 3, 2008

    What's Next?

    That was the question that I was asked several times during my Christmas visit so I figure I should answer it. I might as well tie it in with a year in review and New Year's resolutions - although typically my New Year's resolutions are goals I set for myself so the resolutions and "what's next" are essentially the same. I tend to avoid resolutions like be a better person, spouse, or friend because I always try to be better at those things - I may not always succeed, but I do try. I'd like to think that achieving the goals I set for myself help me to be a better person, but that's just my opinion.

    So here's a quick recap of the year. I won't make any judgments on whether it was a good or bad year. I'm an optimist and I tend to think that the good outweighs the bad, and that even the bad things tend to look better over time. Yes, I am a silver lining kind of gal. I also think that each year is better than the last, and I try not to dwell on the past too much - it happened, it's over, moving on. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy reminiscing - I definitely do - I just prefer to not live in the past.

    This year has definitely been a year of progressively improving health and fitness. Last year at this time, I was taking heart medication, having blood pressure issues, and dealing with plantar fasciitis. The majority of health issues cleared up and I was given a clean bill of health by my doctor in May. The plantar fasciitis took much longer to improve, but was pretty much gone by September. I ran the AT&T Half-marathon in February, started my triathlon season in March, did the Tour de Pain (3 races in 2 days) in August, and completed the NY Marathon in November. I did six triathlons this year: two sprint distances, one sprint distance tri turned duathlon, one quarter-iron distance (not quite an olympic distance), one half-iron distance, and one olympic distance - that is the most I've ever done in a year. I completed my 2nd half-ironman tri and set a PR for both that distance and the Olympic distance. I also set a marathon PR. Overall, I'm pleased with my racing accomplishments and healthwise I'm feeling really good.

    My goals for 2008 are to complete Ironman Florida in November - that's the big one, to PR in a half-marathon - I have to beat 2:08, and to PR in a half-iron and olympic distance triathlon. I am racing the 3M half-marathon in a few weeks so I'm shooting for the half-marathon PR soon. If I don't make it, I will try again a month later. I'd love to break 2 hours, but I'm not quite sure I'm there yet. I'm doing the Gulf Coast Triathlon in May - I'm already registered so unless something major comes up, I'm definitely there. This is the half-iron distance. I set a PR last year with plantar fasciitis and on a harder course so another PR is looking good.

    The other thing I have in the works is teaching yoga. I'm starting to teach a class next week and I would really like to get a few regular classes going. I worked really hard to complete my yoga certification and it'll be nice to put it to use.

    That's all for now. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Happy New Year!

    2 comments:

    Joey said...

    You're doing Ironman Florida? What a coincidence! So am I! Hope to see you there!

    md said...

    3M is a perfect 1/2 mary to PR at!! you're gonna ROCK!! see you soon.