Twitter Updates

    To view more updates,go to my Twitter Page

    Tuesday, August 14, 2007

    Free at Last!

    Summer camp came to an end on Friday and I am officially unemployed again. Wohoo! Now before you think I didn't enjoy myself teaching camp - that is absolutely not the case. I love teaching, and I really enjoy camp because you have the same kids all week. In many cases, you have the same kids most of the summer. That being said, camp takes a lot out of you. When I worked fulltime, the end of summer camp was always followed by a vacation. I don't have a vacation planned, but I am getting a visit from my best friend, Joey, which is super exciting.

    This summer ended on a bit of a down note. I was teaching the insect field camp for the 5th-6th graders and I had a special needs child in my group. To say this child was difficult is an understatement. I did the best I could, but finally had to ask that the child be removed from camp on Thursday morning. Not only was he monopolizing my time, but his behavior was impacting the other campers to the point that they were starting to become verbally aggressive towards him. If I hadn't had two amazing Junior Volunteers, Ali and Sheri, I wouldn't have been able to keep it together. They are the type of teenager that keeps you positive and hopeful for the future. They will also make excellent camp teachers someday soon. The rest of Thursday and all of Friday were so much fun I really regretted not having him removed sooner. I feel like I didn't have much time to bond with the other campers, but I must have done something right because I got hugs from everyone at the end of the day on Friday - and hugs are unusual from that age group. I also got lots of hugs from the younger campers that I had taught most of the summer, but that wasn't surprising. They've been giving me hugs all summer.

    Some highlights from camp:
    • teaching 1st graders how to fold paper airplanes for the first time. Way too much fun!
    • having my 1st graders help the 5th graders paint murals of Australia
    • playing freeze dance
    • silly jokes
    • visiting the new Megalodon exhibit - over and over and over!
    • getting 12 3rd graders quiet enough to stalk egrets
    • bringing in a special snack on Fridays
    • Hugs!

    No comments: